"We believe every child is unique and the diversity of our students is what makes Enfield Public Schools exceptional.To thrive and excel, all are welcomed, accepted, respected, and supported."District Equity Statement

Medication Information

Medication Administration

 Medication administration in school is strictly regulated. Medication that must be administered during school hours,which includes; daily, short term use, as needed, over-the-counter andemergency medication must be ordered by an authorized prescriber. Authorized prescribers include; physician, dentist, advanced practice registered nurse, or physician’s assistants.
A completed medication order must be on the following form. 


  • The form and the medication should be returned to the nurse’s office by a parent or other responsible adult (over the age of 18)and given to the nurse directly.
  • Medication must be in the pharmacy bottle,properly labeled, and contain no more than a 3 month supply.
  • Over the counter medication (i.e., Tylenol, Tums,Advil or Motrin etc.) must be brought in the original unopened container.
  • Cough drops may be given in the health office with a note from the parent/guardian.
  • Bug repellent or sunscreen may be brought in for field day if labeled with the student’s name and a note from the parent/guardian


Self-Administrationof Medication

Students are permitted to carry and self-administer the following rescue medications with medication authorization;
EpiPens, inhalers and insulin. MD, parent and school nurse approval for self-administration must be on file.

·        A secondary dose should also be available in the nurse’s office.

·        Students are responsible for keep their medication on them at all times.

·        Students are responsible for carrying their own medication on school day field trips.

OverNight Field Trips

Medication for field trips beyond the regular school day/overnight will require a physician’s order and parent authorization. These requirements include over-the-counter medications. It is best to speak with the school nurse well in advance of a field trip. 

Medication Authorization to Administer Medicine in School Form